You’ve decided it’s the right time to right-size your life — congratulations! Your children have moved out, you don’t need that big house or want to do all that yard work, and you’re certainly ready for some “me-time.” You’re about to begin one of your greatest adventures yet!
The smart choice of moving into a low-maintenance Lifestyle Community from Weaver Homes in beautiful Pittsburgh North gives you every opportunity to explore your passions, live leisurely, and meet new friends. In this article, we’re going to talk about simplifying your life — in other words, right-sizing your belongings.
Remember, stuff is just stuff, and objects don’t define us. In fact, letting go of items can be liberating. Right-sizing is a lot like getting into shape — it takes time and work, but you feel incredible when you’re done. Most importantly, it will free up space and time to focus on what’s truly important to you.
It’s never too early to start decluttering. Less stuff means less work and more room for new memories and experiences! We’ve put together some tips to get you started.
Tips to Right-Size Your Home
- Remember: one room at a time. Start small and keep your focus on a single task, such as setting aside a few hours to clean out a closet or a set of drawers. You’ll be amazed at how quickly you’ll make progress, which makes the rest of the process that much smoother.
- When it comes to clothes, ask yourself: do I really need it? This will help you make definitive decisions about what goes and what stays. Create a “maybe” pile for useful articles of clothing that may be duplicates, items that are out of style, and clothes that you wear but not often. Then look at your closet without them — if you can see that keeping them would only create more work, they can successfully be donated or sold.
- If you’re having a hard time giving things up, remember what William Morris said about the essence of decluttering: “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”
- Emotional ties to items are normal. This is simply a part of the process, but remember that you don’t have to get rid of everything. Hand down precious items to your children and grandchildren, donate or sell what you don’t need, and keep what you love the most.
- It’s 2021 — go digital! Photos, cards, scrapbooks, letters, and more can be scanned onto a computer or an external hard drive. This frees up a vast amount of space while keeping your things safe. Who knows, you may even impress your grandkids with your new computer skills!
In no time, right-sizing your belongings leads to living in the expertly-crafted home in the exceptional neighborhood that you’ve always envisioned, surrounded by great friends, and doing the things you love (without wasting a moment on home repairs.) Best of all, Weaver Homes is here to help you throughout the entire process, to make it easy and enjoyable. Contact us to learn how!