Your Family’s Complete Guide to Spring Cleaning
The weather is getting nicer which means spring cleaning is right around the corner! Although it gets a bad rap, there are plenty of ways to make spring cleaning FUN for you and your family, and you don’t have to lose a day (or entire weekend) to mopping and scrubbing with a bad attitude! Here are 10 tips to help you clean smarter, not harder, this year:
- Have a plan. If you start cleaning without setting priorities, you’ll never feel finished. Map out your tasks for the day so you’re not blinding jumping in without knowing what your goal is.
- Strategize. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Let your helpers work on the tasks they do best and they’ll perform much better.
- Get the kids involved. Giving children their own cleaning supplies and/or cleaning kit can help them feel more useful and needed, which will keep them focused and on task throughout the day.
- Make it fun. Spring cleaning isn’t Scrubbing Bubble Dance Party, but you can make the task more enjoyable with squirt guns or bottles for the kids and and upbeat music for everyone!
- Schedule regular breaks. Even Martha Stewart would be overwhelmed by the idea of hours of uninterrupted cleaning. Regular breaks can help you stay motivated, but don’t let short breaks turn into long ones or you’ll stray too far off course.
- Turn it into a makeover. Don’t just clean, give your home a décor update. New paint and decorations can change a room’s entire character while leaving it sparkly clean.
- Keep snacks around for motivation. You’re going to get hungry and you’ll never get anything done if you have to stop every time you want a nosh. Keep a bowl of granola or nuts handy to keep your energy levels up.
- Make it a game. Make a contest of cleaning and award prizes to the winners so it feels just like playing. Perception is reality, right?
- Bribery! Use money and small rewards as a way to keep kids (and adults) focused.
- Reward yourself. You’ve been planning, organizing, wrangling your helpers. You’ve been working hard so make sure to reward yourself for a job well done. Treat the family to a delicious dinner or head to the local park for some outdoor fun in the sun!